Choosing a good web hosting company is quite important, many people and companies overlook this aspect much too often. The right hosting company can look after all your main hosting services, these include web hosting, email services, web back-ups and domain name registrations.
Some web hosting companies go even further by offering basic website design packages, normally for SME’s or start-ups who can’t afford a professional web design company. But beware some companies don’t use the best methods to get you the right results online so choose wisely when using template and packaged deals.
I have created for your benefit a list of 5 handy points to evaluate your chosen web hosting company against. This is the easiest way to check that you are going to get the best deal balanced with an appropriate price.
Don’t worry; you don’t have to be completely tech literate to use these points. Please bare in mind that this list is not fool proof and you should always complete basic checks and research to ensure your web hosting company is well established and provides a trusted, professional service.
5 Points to Evaluate Your Web Hosting Company
- Trust – is an important issue, can you trust your chosen web hosting company to look after your essential business hosting services?
- Check to see how long the company has been operating.
- Find out if they host any big names, if a bigger company wouldn’t use them then why should you?
- Contact a customer of the hosting company and get a personal opinion to help you make your choice.
- Service and Uptime – when you rely on email or domain services to run your business then quick service and continual uptime is vital.
- Find out what type of service they provide during normal hours.
- Find out if they have staff you can contact after hours for troubleshooting and problem fixing.
- Ask if you be able to talk to a real person on the phone or get stuck in some sort of automated nightmare.
- Ask them if they have an Uptime Guarantee, if they do try your best to monitor it.
- Compatibility – Some web hosting companies only support certain web software.
- Ask them what type of web software they support, e.g. Open Source (Apache) or Proprietary (Microsoft).
- Ask them if they will be able to support your web software, the easiest way to find out what your web software is, is if you ask your web designer/developer.
- Quality – Low grade server hardware or poor quality hosting software can cause a headache.
- Ask them about server hardware and how regularly they upgrade or maintain their servers.
- Ask how regularly they upgrade their software and what types of software they use to run their servers.
- Price – price is not everything! The less you pay the less you get.
- Ask them for pricing on all their available packages.
- Make sure your needs are going to be adequately covered.
- Find at least 3 different companies to compare on pricing, please be aware that choosing the cheapest price/month may cause more hassles then choosing a balanced per month price.
This article and handy 5 points to evaluate your potential web hosting company will hopefully help you to establish who you will choose to support your new or existing business.
The one thing that we cannot stress enough is the last and final point in the list above and that is price per month.
There are enough bad web hosting stories around to know that if you choose cheap and nasty hosting… you will get what you pay for e.g. cheap and nasty service and poor quality hosting.
So don’t choose on price alone, choose a balanced price that will provide good service, quality hardware and a professional company.
Ben Davis is the sales and project manager for MediaCore a Specialist Web Company based in Auckland, New Zealand. He has had 6+ years of experience managing web design and development projects for his clients. He is also the author of ‘5 Tips To Search Optimize Your Business’.